Thursday, February 19, 2015

Happy Hoarder Day # 5 by Janet S. Tiger Facing the Music Feb. 19, 2015


Happy Hoarder  Day # 5 Feb. 19, 2015
 A journey into cleaning up a big pile of hoard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(photos still in the cloud - will post as soon as they arrive!)

                                                   Facing the Music
                                             
                                                            by Janet S. Tiger   
                                                (c) 2015     all rights reserved
                                                      tigerteam1@gmail.com


La- de - dah.

I think I need a professional.  I am fortunate, although our family has no doctors, we do have the supreme grace of counting as one of our own.....a professional organizer.  My sister, now retired, is a miracle worker at this type of problem.  Why not call her?  I hesitate, as I wonder if she would work with me again.  I wonder because the last time she helped me she said, 'Don't ever call me again .....unless you are serious about de-junking.'  This was just before she retired, damaged from years of working with other insane folks, I mean other people, like me.

My sister is very neat and organized - ever since she was a little girl.  And now that I need her, she has moved back to town.  Dare I call?  She is busy, it was a big move home, and she is helping with my mother and father's clean up.  Am I ready? Can I face the music and dance?  More important, do I really want to nod to another Fred Astaire song?

The discipline I used to write one monologue a day is now coming to good use.  Yet I do not want to wait a year to finish this - I need to have some clarity now.  I have nightmares - well, maybe daymares - of being buried in piles of stuff.  Perhaps the entire point of doing the monologues was to see that all can be boiled down into simplicity - one monologue a day.  It doesn't get much simpler.  

So, I must pick up the pace - I must move out more stuff.  Should I post a photo of what needs to be cleaned up?  From the past?  To show I have been working at this for awhile?

One photo shows how far I have come.  From junk to the street, I am pushed back far enough to get a car into the driveway.  But it is not enough.  The next photo shows what I see from inside my home - outside onto my driveway.  The horror!  When facing these piles, which are taller than I am (and I am not short) I am fully aware of my addiction to ......stuff.  And, unlike my son's (probably wise) idea to go cold turkey, to call up Am Vets and just let it all go, I fight the urge to purge it all.  So I will do this cleansing slowly,  on a daily basis, hopefully by sticking to it, I will make the changes stick, as I try to grow a teflon hide for all my junk. And to show that I realize that, like any addiction, after the rehab, I will have to watch myself.....forever.

How long is forever?  We are on the cusp now of living a very long time....maybe even what will effectively be forever.  Others are worried about the unimportant stuff, like how will we be able to afford to do this, and what about our health?  For me, the biggest question is....what will we do with all our stuff? 

La-de-dah.  A question for another day. More soon.  I hope that as I do more of the de-cluttering, I will be able to write.....less soon.

1 comment:

  1. Facing the Music and The Ma in Many are both good and highly readable.

    I like this format, too. It seems a little more relaxed knowing there is no limit on
    the size/length of the blog.

    ReplyDelete