Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Happy Hoarder Day # 18 Outside the Bag March 4, 2015

  Happy Hoarder  Day # 1Outside the Bag March 4, 2015
 A journey into cleaning up a big pile of..... hoard
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                       Outside the Bag
                                          
                                                            by Janet S. Tiger   
                                                (c) 2015     all rights reserved
                                                      tigerteam1@gmail.com


For years I have been known as a bag lady, but not in the 'living out of bags' way, thank God.  I save bags.  Not just pretty bags, had to let those go during the move.  But the worst type of easily-becomes-wet-and-smelly bags.  Grocery store, easily ripped, soon to be outlawed......plastic bags.

It was always bad, the fear that one day there would be no bags.  But then this fear became real, when the California State Whoosis voted to get rid of all these bags - for everyone who needed one to carry their groceries home.  (Not booze, you could still get your Jack Daniels in a plastic bag, but my chocodiles, soon to be....no way.)

The horror of this edict resulted in, could you possibly guess?  Hoarding of the bags.  Where I saved them before, for use in my small trash pails in every room, and for assorted sundry tasks, now I started to ask for more, doubling down as it were, every time I shopped.  The bags were starting to fill more than the plastic holder designed to store them.  Such as hampers, bigger bags......but I was keeping them out of the landfills!

Then, sometime since the start of this blog, I realized that, since the governmental edict is on hold pursuant to a vote sometime next year.....I might have enough time to ....scary part alert......hoard more of them in the future.  And, I could even consider.....recycling what I have now.

So out they are going, and my kitchen has more room.  The closets, the floor.....also the trunk of my car.  Wanna hear another funny codicil - I own the cloth bags, six of them in the trunk of my car......which I never remember to bring into the store.

These habits have to go - how will I survive without my two year supply of these plastic rippy things?  I guess I'll just have to....think outside the bag.

----------------------------------------------
Note-
Am not totally joking about keeping bags out of landfills - and the ocean.  But I do think doing the deposit thin - 5cents/bag like the bottles/cans - would enable everyone to help, plus give homeless and poorer people another income possibility.  That said, I believe usable solutions are close, we just have to work at them.

More info here -
http://www.earth911.com/recycling-guide/how-to-recycle-plastic-bags/
 http://www.reuseit.com/facts-and-myths/facts-about-the-plastic-bag-pandemic.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Janet S. Tiger    858-736-6315
JanetSTigerMonologueMania.blogspot.com
Member Dramatists Guild since 1983
Playwright-in-Residence
Swedenborg Hall 2006-8

1 comment: